Friday 14 March 2008

FOOD MODELS – ACTUAL SIZE & MINIATURES

For many years, I have always been interested in food models, big and small. It all began in the 1990s when many Japanese restaurants started to emerge in Singapore. Those plastic food models of various Japanese dishes displayed outside the restaurants never failed to fascinate me. Till today, I will do what I can to purchase big and small food models of different cuisines in Singapore and overseas. I am also interested in the process of making the food models and the materials used. During my trip to Osaka in 2006, I purchased a few sushi food models/keychains in Sennichimae Doguyasuji and takoyaki keychain in Namba souvenir shop. I displayed the sushi and takoyaki food models at my computer monitor to liven up my working table.





Singapore Food Miniatures
Being a Singaporean, naturally Singapore food is very close to my heart. Going around Singapore and trying all kinds of delicious local dishes is not enough for me. I just want to collect as many as possible Singapore food miniatures to add interest and excitement. For the past few months, I purchased many miniatures from two Singapore ladies, Ms Wendy Chia and Mdm Ang. The ladies use clay to skillfully make miniatures of many Singapore food and snacks, including goodies during festive seasons. The miniatures are good replicas of actual food and are of high quality. My miniatures collection includes food such as satay, hainanese chicken rice, nasi lemak, dumplings, otak, "huat kuey", nonya kuey and so on.



Food Miniature Souvenirs
Other than Singapore food miniatures, I aim to collect food miniatures of foreign cuisines. I managed to source for a manufacturer from China which produce food miniatures of Chinese, Japanese and Western cuisines. The miniatures are in the form of fridge magnets, keychains and handphone straps. I imported the miniature souvenirs not only for my own collection, but also to sell them to interested collectors.



Food Miniature Erasers
Japanese company Iwako produced very attractive and high quality food miniature erasers (www.iwako.com). The erasers include Chinese, Japanese and Western cuisines. They are so colourful and unique I just do not wish to use them. I purchased a few packs from Popular Bookstore at IMM. The price for each pack ranges from Sing$4.70 to Sing$5.50. Only available at selected Popular Bookstore outlets.



9 comments:

Poornima V Kumar said...

I think it is a fabulous collection that you have. I myself am a magnet collector. Would you be able to let me know where I can buy these magnets in Singapore? I will be visiting there next month and would love to add it to my collection. Appreciate it.

my email id: poornimavkumar@gmail.com

Thanks!
Poornima

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Yummy Matters said...

Happy Queen, thank you for visiting my blog. Good to know that you are an avid collector of miniatures.

Kindly visit my photoblog to sample some of Madam Ang's miniature works, as well as to see her contact details:

http://www.photoblog.com/phil5808/2008/03/28/

If you need to know more about the food models shown in my photoblog, feel free to ask me. Any feedback and suggestions are most welcome. Have fun with food models. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Allo,

Thanks for this fabulous blog. I'm from a media company and I was wondering if there is any way to get in touch with Ms. Wendy Chia and Mdm Ang so we can do an interview with them?

Many thanks!
Wenxiang

Unknown said...

Hi,

I am doing a project and i need to make actual food replica. Happen to chase on you blog while searching for it. Wonder if you got any contact of company that can make the actual size replica.

Yummy Matters said...

Hi Hui,

I am pleased to inform you that my company produces plastic food models. Kindly visit our business blog

http://foodmodel.blogspot.com

Feel free to write to us if you have any queries. Hope to be of service to you. Cheers.

Anonymous said...

I would like to know where I can buy all this miniature as I am also a miniature collector and would like to add these to my collection.

Yummy Matters said...

Hi Anonymous,

You may visit http://foodmodel.blogspot.com. Thank you.

Cheers,
Philip

Justin said...

If you are looking for an online shop that sells Japanese fake food related items in English and ships all over the world, you may want to check out Fake Food Japan: http://fakefoodjapan.com/

All the best,

Justin