Thursday 30 October 2008

RAMEN & NATTO @ NETSURETSU ICHIBAN-TEI

I heard so much about the tonkutsu ramen at Netsuretsu Ichiban-Tei and decided to try it while in Liang Court. The soup (pork bone broth) was rich and aromatic. Yummy and not too salty and oily. The two big slices of fatty kurobuta (black pig) were well marinated with miso, tasty and not too salty. The stewed boiled eggs were average. The egg noodle was well cooked, not too soggy. Other ingredients included bamboo shoots and spring onions.

I also ordered a bowl of
sticky Japanese natto. It was my first time eating this delicacy. The fermented soyabeans were quite small and tasted a bit bitter. Overall it had a strong flavour and smell, but it tasted kind of bland - not sweet/salty/sour. I guess I should have added some soya sauce. When mixed with seaweed, spring onions and some mustard, the overall taste was acceptable but complex. Not so remarkable. I wonder if other Japanese restaurants serve Japanese natto the same way as Ichiban-tei. I do not mind trying the delicacy again elsewhere.

• Food & Beverage 7.5/10 • Ambience 7/10 • Service 6/10


No comments: