Saturday 20 December 2008

THUNDER TEA RICE

While I was at Food Republic (Vivocity Shopping Mall level 3) for lunch, I came across a stall selling thunder tea rice (lei cha 擂茶). I have heard about this Hakka cuisine for years but did not get to try it. I thought I should try it this time. The dish included ingredients like tofu, pickled radishes, friend ikan billis, roasted groundnuts and assorted chopped vegetables. There was also a bowl of soup, made from the mixture of hot water, tea leaves, grounded roasted peanuts, basil and mint. The dish reminded me of the Korean bibimbap and Japanese ochazuki.

I was told by the stall holder to pour any amount of soup into the bowl of assorted ingredients and mix well. I told myself, "what the heck, just pour all in". I stirred well and the dish became a messy mixture. When I first ate it, I was not used to the strange taste of mint and tea. It was not bitter and blend. After a few mouthful, I gradually got to like the taste.

I will eat it again for sure. Certainly a healthy dish.

• Food & Beverage 7/10 • Ambience - • Service 6/10


No comments: