Saturday 6 December 2008

PERANAKAN FOOD @ KIM CHOO'S KITCHEN

One of my favourite cuisines is Peranakan food. I grew up eating delicious traditional Nonya dishes cooked by my late paternal grandmother. She was such a great cook. I previously bought Kim Choo's (www.kimchoo.com) popular Nonya dumplings a couple of times and I wanted to try their Peranakan dishes this time.

I ordered plain rice with (pic below, from left to right) fried egg omelette, ayam buah kerluak, achah and samba belachan. The omelette with shredded cabbage was tasty but too salty for my liking. The ayam buah kerluak was disappointing - gravy was too sweet, buah kerluak nuts' content too little and not so aromatic, chicken was not tender. The achah was delicious - crunchy with the right sweetness and spiciness. Not to mention the generous serving of spicy sambal belachan.

• Food & Beverage 6.5/10 • Ambience 6/10 • Service 6.5/10


No comments: